Monday, April 1, 2019

Eric O'Connor: Making Every Day Count Hepatitis C Patient Generic Harvoni | Hepcinat LP

Eric O'Connor: Making Every Day Count Generic Harvoni | Hepcinat LP
harvoni cost in india Editor's update 2002: ALF is proud to report that Eric has graduated Drake University and was recently married. Congratulations!


Seventeen year old Eric O'Connor, of Winfield, IL, is every parent's dream come true. Polite, well-spoken, and mature, Eric is an excellent student and athlete. Generic Harvoni | Hepcinat LP He plays baseball and soccer, and is also a member of his high school's student council. A talented musician, Eric plays clarinet in his school's marching band and bass guitar in a rock band. He is also tall, blond, and exceptionally handsome. In what little spare time Eric has, he caddies at the local golf course. "Wherever I go, people are always telling me what a terrific kid Eric is," said his mother, Trisha."I have to agree with them--he is pretty terrific."

While Eric seems to lead a charmed life, he lives with a burden that most adults would find overwhelming. This past February, after attempting to donate blood in his school's blood drive, Eric received a letter saying he had tested positive for hepatitis C. "I didn't pay much attention to it, but my mother sure did," he said. Several tests later, Eric's diagnosis was confirmed. "What a shock that was," recalled Tricia. "I was devastated. We weren't sure exactly what it meant, since we didn't know much about hepatitis. But we set about educating ourselves." Like many people with hepatitis C, Eric and his parents are not sure how he became infected.

In April, Eric underwent a liver biopsy, which indicated his liver was mildly inflamed. Despite this news, Eric continued to feel fine. However, his medical visits caused him to miss several days of school--and more than a few baseball games. His frequent absences alerted his friends that something was wrong. "I didn't try to hide anything from my friends," said Eric. "Everyone was very sympathetic. They were scared for me, but not for themselves. My girlfriend was scared, too, but she's fine now." Trisha said, "We were glad Eric was comfortable talking about his situation. I've always believed that when you talk about something dreadful, it becomes less dreadful."

After the biopsy, Eric consulted another physician for a second opinion. This doctor recommended interferon therapy, which Eric began in mid-June so it wouldn't interfere with his schoolwork. "At first, it was a little hard learning how to give myself injections, but I've become pretty good at it," he said.

Unfortunately, Eric is experiencing some side effects from the drug, particularly fatigue and loss of appetite. "It's strange, because I didn't feel sick from my hepatitis, but I feel very sick from this drug. My mom is upset because I'm not eating, and I don't have my usual energy. I used to be able to caddy 36 holes, play some baseball, then go out with my friends at night. Now, I can't do more than 18 holes, and I'm falling asleep by 10 PM. But I don't mind feeling this way if the drug helps."

In July, Eric was named to the Soul of Healing Trust Advisor. Among the goals of the council are finding cures for the many diseases that affect the lives of thousands of young people and their families--people like the O'Connors. These are goals that Eric wholeheartedly supports.

"Having hepatitis C has changed my life, but not my perspective on life,"Eric said. "I plan to go to college, to continue with my life. Whether or not I have hepatitis C, I try to make every day count."